17 August 2007

Tired

This is prolly the second or third post that contains the word "Tired". Yeah, Tired but joyful though. This week has been interesting. I had lectures on Quality Management this week and it has been the most thought provoking, I really enjoy Don's lecture, we had group activities, class discussion, all sorts and he was pasionate with quality. I wish I had more lecturers like him. The things that He taught us are not easy, are not popular, they require a lot of thinking, understanding our state as human being in order to understand and manage others (He is teaching us how to be good managers). Yesterday, we were talking about system, how do we define system and whether it exists or not. Together as a class we came up with

System has or is:
  • Interaction between sub-systems or elements
  • The sum of parts doesnt equal to the whole part working together, meaning when parts work together there is emergent characteristic (greater and more beneficial outcome) that is impossible to be achieved by one part/sub-system/element alone.
  • There is structure of the parts/hierarchy of the parts
  • Purposeful(?)
  • has a network
  • etc (which normally means I forgot, hehe)

But, I had a discussion with Don regarding whether system exists or not. He reckoned because we define the word "system" therefore system exists. If we didnt find the word "system" there would be no system. In our class, Don suggested one of the examples of systems is solar system. This example was used to question whether system actually has a purpose/purposeful. One of my classmates said that this then lead to the acceptance of intelligent design, there is a creator behind solar system and it serves a purpose for Him. I was kinda sad as Don said that He is not going to let the discussion into religion or theology. We are taught that the university distribute truth, and I was also taught that the only failure was not to learn from what was taught and the material being taught contain faults. By shutting the discussion, it kinda decided to be blinded or discard other possible options (which might be true) in order to explain system. But, anyway He said that He could show me 1200 pages of debate regarding the whole issue of system definition and was wandering if I am interested. Oh...I wish I had all the time. Hehe. But, I decided to drop it (too many pages...Prolly will start crying after page 10). He didnt say what I believed was wrong but He just said to continue thinking about it. What was concluded and taught in the class regarding "system" was a collection of agreeable definitions amongst scholars.

Overall, I found his lectures was interesting and I was sad to find out that today was his last lecture.

This week has been a week of inspiration to study...and study things. I wanna study theology and history simply because I wanna know more about the truth, so I may trust God more, more awe and reverence to Him, more joy, and also being ready to defend it. I am also interested in studying management and economy (basically from Don's lecture and my marketing paper) and obviously science. Learn more...yay happy learning...I sound ambitious? yeah...Can be tempted to that, I will wait for God and see, I wanna be faithful with whatever He has entrusted me to have currently...Food Technology and some good christian books and friends.

Oh academia has been very interesting this week. I am very tired but happy :).

Much Love

Lilis

No comments: