19 February 2008

I am still very hungry, lonely, and cold

A poem written by a homeless woman for the Regional Officer of Shelter:

"I was hungry,
and you formed a humanities group to discuss my hunger

I was imprisoned,
and you crept off quietly to your chapel and prayed for my release

I was naked,
and in your mind you debated the morality of my appearance

I was sick,
and you knelt and thanked God for your health

I was homeless,
and you preached to me of the spiritual shelter of the love of God

I was lonely,
and you left me alone to pray for me

You seem so holy, so close to God
but I am still very hungry - and lonely - and cold.



We shall not just prattle, and plan, and pray..."


(taken from Issues Facing Christians Today 4th Edition by Dr. John Stott, pic by themechanism)

No comments: