28 April 2009

I am feasting on...

What an excellent read! Hold on I haven't finished. I keep going back to what I just read. But, I'd like to share with you some glimpses of it. This book pretty much a compilation of Tozer's 6 best essays and interview before He died. Listen to these words:

"Question: Dr. Tozer, what specific steps would you suggest for the earnest seeker after the "deeper life"?

Tozer: I have never been much for "steps" in the christian life, though they may be useful to some people. For the most part, my method has been simply to plunge in on the promises of God and let God take care of the "steps". I would, however, make a few recommendations to anyone seeking a more satisfying and more God-possessed life than he now enjoys.

First, determine to take the whole thing in dead earnest. Too many of us play at Christianity. We wear salvation as a kind of convention badge admitting us into the circle of the elect, but rarely stop to focus our whole lives seriously on God's claims upon us.

Second, throw yourself out recklessly upon God. Give up everything and prepare yourself to surrender even unto death all of your ambitions, plans and possessions. And I mean this quite literally. You should not be satisfied with the mere technical aspect of surrender but press your case upon God in determined prayer until a crises has taken place within your life and there has been an actual transfer of everything from yourself to God.

Third, take a solemn vow never to claim any honor or glory or praise for anything you are or have or do. See to it that God gets all honor, all the time.

Fourth, determine not to defend yourself against detractors and persecutors. Put your reputation in God's hands and leave it there.

Fifth, mortify the flesh with affections and lusts. Every believer has been judicially put to death with Christ, but this is not enough for present victory. Freedom from the power of the flesh will come only when we have by faith and self-discipline made such death an actuality. Real death to self is a painful thing and tends to reduce a man in his own eyes and humble him into the dust. Not many follow this rugged way, but those who do are exemplary Christians."


Do I hear a "WOW"? The Second "step" reminds me of a little prayer by Betty Scott Stam. Betty is a missionary (in China I think) young mother and much like us wished for a future and peaceful life. Yet, she wrote these words when she and her daughter's life were in danger of persecution:

Lord, I give up all my own plans and purposes, all my own desires and hopes, and accept thy will for my life. I give myself, my life, my all utterly to Thee to be Thine forever. Fill me and seal me with Thy Holy Spirit. Use me as Thou wilt, send me where Thou wilt, work out Thy whole will in my life at any cost, now and forevermore...

Those words were written and signed in Elisabeth Elliot's bible when she was 11. May this be our prayer.

No comments: