05 April 2009

Review: Emma Kirkby and London Baroque


This is not a proper review. But, just to recap the concert I attended last night. At first, I was a little confused with her music because we all do not have the programme with us, so we felt quite lost. But, it didn't fail us to pick which one is the best. Hehe. I personally like the sacred cantata best: O Qualis De Coelo Sonus HMV 239 or What is this heavenly sound? She sang other two secular cantatas. The last cantata (secular) was Tu Fedel? Tu Constante? it is for an unfaithful lover. That was quite amusing to watch because it's full of angry songs from a woman to a guy.

Emma Kirkby


New things I learnt from the concert:
  • Baroque music has no end (from very soft sounding to loud) but there just seems to be no pause at all. I can just imagine the tiredness.
  • To clap. Keep clapping even after the main performance has finished to get the artist to do some encore. Clap until you have tired hands. Haha.

3 comments:

Anne said...

the clapping was the fun part haha... I was completely immersing in the music and trying to imagine the picture expressed by the music... didn't really understand or analyze at all, pure enjoyment. Actually i like the angry lover part, maybe because I had the words in my hands, thought that was amusing and entertaining. :)

Anne said...

and the instrument was called harpsichord.

Janicelees said...

oh that thing that looks like a huge toy box in a wonderland.