22 January 2009

Confused & Sad, all at the same time

I had my first ever interview in Singapore. I mean...they were the ones that contacted me instead of me chasing them around. Actually the other two were positions in academia. But, I am in a confusion right now. The guy told me that working there is challenging, crisis time = stress time and long hours working. Also, asked me whether I am a christian. He said he goes to church because family all go there. But he is not religious. When he had to miss Sunday service, he does it. Sigh...I told him which church did I go and what denomination. Friends...I am scared. I am scared of making a wrong decision that will sacrifice my relationship with God. If my boss said something like that it would have mean something significant. I was very honest to him, I do not know whether he appreciates that or not. Even my dad thought some of what I said was not tactful enough. He (boss) seems very cool about it. But, I feel very sad. I feel very sad that He chose to attend his work/career life more than God. At the same time, I was putting myself in his shoes, I fear if in the next five years I will turn to be the same person like him. God forbid...oh God forbid. I feel very weak right now. I couldn't sleep at all last night, can not wait to see my "future" boss this morning. I know...I am silly but that's me. Another thing, he requires me to work 5.5 days which I have no problem but it looks like they are in need of some more commitment. Working hours is pretty good 9 am - 6.15 pm I don't mind. But, the place is blimmin far away from my home. At least an hour on the road to go there. God please honor me, honor my honesty. He also mentioned about working long hours thing...the fact that some people believe work life balance (which I firmly do , but I didn't say a thing) or just work. Guys, I know it is biblical calling to work but not working all the time. I work to live not live to work. Anyways, he seems quite positive about me and is going to be in touch with me soon to get me into his plant and get some training. The point is if I am a fast learner and get along with the HACCP trainer, chances are I will be hired. May be now is the time to get over this and leave the rest to God. My boss seems kind and patient...poor guy. I am missing New Zealand...how people truly can have work life balance. Adding to my confusion, NZ is amongst countries with the highest suicidal rates in the world, after Japan. Hmmm. Haiyah. dodol.

3 comments:

Anne said...

The world is not perfect, sometimes we need to 'sacrifice' certain things (maybe time but definitely not faith!). Work in Singapore is quite stressful especially during this financial crisis period, when companies cutting down on manpower. Be patient, keep your head up, keep positive, and keep praying. Sometimes the thing may not come out as you wish, but in God it is possible that you will get through it and still keep your faith. Just focus on Him and worship Him ya, that will be able to give you a peace of mind... Take care sis. *hugs* Anne

Ita said...

Totally agree with Anne! :)

Another thing:
We serve Him not only in Church, but also (or I could say, mainly) at workplace, coz 1/3 of our time is spent at work. God uses us to be a channel of HIS blessing EVERYWHERE.
From my experience working here, it's more difficult to serve HIM at work compared to serve HIM at church...
But more difficulties means we will be (pushed to be) more dependent on God and closer to HIM :)

Janicelees said...

thank you for your support girls! Really appreciate that. I shall wait on His leading. I know I can not expect the NZ working environment. In fact, work life will prolly be the same everywhere in singapore. Let's see how I do in the plant. If God gave me peace to settle in this job and the training went okay, I am going ahead with it.

The Lord gives job, not my boss.