13 February 2009

The thing called Love

Tomorrow is Valentine's day. I bet tomorrow there will be lots more recitation of the four letter word "Love" than any other days. But, do we really mean what we say? this short devotional by Elisabeth Elliot will present you the real challenge of love:

Tell us, fool, who knows more of love--the one who has joys from it or the one who has trials and griefs? He answered: There cannot be any knowledge of love without both of them. (Ramon Lull, The Book of the Lover and the Beloved)

When I imagine that I want to learn to love God--and to love my husband and others whom God has given me to love--let me test the desire of my willingness to accept trial and grief. If I can welcome them--Yes, Lord!--and believe God's purpose in them, I am learning the lesson of love. If I cannot, it's a fair indication that my desire to love is a delusion.


May God transform our selfish and unloving heart.

No comments: