14 October 2009

Ho Chi Minh, Xin Chao!






Travel Diary: SIN - SGN

Day 1

Arrived at 18:45 Tan Son Nhat airport. First impression: this airport is smaller than Soekarno-Hatta but it is strangely homey. I was picked up by the hotel and soon experience Saigon street. I simply loved it! why? it reminds me of muara karang. Motorbikes are everywhere. I think there were average 10 motorbikes in a second. It is more exotic than my hometown because of the many art galleries, collonial architecture and not to forget friendly people.

The hotel, fabulous. Though my USD got confiscated (because I don't have a credit card) I had my little own time even though I did not manage to wander on the first night in Saigon. I had to work on those handouts straightaway until 11 pm. I was so hungry and had one vanilla ring cookie and one pistachio cookie. Anyway, I soaked myself in a hot bath. That was a treat. Thank you, Lord!

Day 2

Morning:

Planned to check those presentation. My phone card, Singtel, no money, can not top up overseas!!! was panicking incase my boss looked for me. Can not enjoy buffet breakfast. But had crispy waffle with maple syrup. It was heaven! some hash browns and bacon bits. Comfort food. The waitress told me to go on fourth floor to get a Viet Tel card 200,000 Vietnam Dong...alright. for the sake of communication with Suong & Mr. M.

Afternoon:

I planned to wander after sorting the phone card and presentations but it took too long until I had to force myself for a lunch break. Can't rely go out, I had Pho at the hotel. Yeah...I was sitting there I wish I had a friend with me to go to Pho 24. The waitress told me to go for a walk, gave me a map and told me where to go in Saigon. But I was too busy. Not long after, I got the news that all my other colleagues are checked in the hotel with Suong. I finally meet our Vietnamese agents. They are lovely people. We had Vietnamese Coffee at the lobby lounge....I was so happy to see familiar faces. At 5 pm, our presentation meeting. Just as Ita said, expect surprises....the vietnamese font in my presentations was all wrong! There was a little chaos but it was manageable.

Night:

Thank you for my helpful colleagues HF and CG. You are God sent! After the meeting, we went to "Wrap & Roll"...I was happy did not have Pho for dinner, I started to feel bored with noodles. Wrap & roll was just nice...viet wrap...yummm. Oh btw, we were meant to set up the room at 4 pm but the hotel slot in a family function at 5 pm and our agents were not too happy. The hotel comforted us by offering free meeting room for 5 pm. So, that was good. The event manager, Thuyet, poor dear Thuyet was so busy for the whole day yet she impressed me. She promised to finish setting up at 9:30 pm and call me and she did it on time. Renaissance hotel staff, I am really impressed! you guys have been one of the most helpful bunch. Did you realize that it brings many praises to my God? The staff did all you can to help us and I am most grateful. Thank you Hieu and your boys, you all such a good team waitress, I enjoyed working with you all. You all made me fell in love with Saigon!

to be continued...

Good night Ho chi Minh!

PS: I am too lazy to upload my own picture. Above just a few real pictures that I think represent Saigon.

No comments: