19 March 2009

A Prayer to love

I pray, O God, that I may know You and love You, so that I may
rejoice in You. And if I cannot do so fully in this life may I
progress gradually until it comes to fullness. Let the knowledge
of You grow in me here, and there [in heaven] be made complete;
let Your love grow in me here and there be made complete, so
that here my joy may be great in hope, and there be complete in
reality. Lord, by Your Son You command, or rather, counsel us
to ask and You promise that we shall receive so that our ‘joy may
be complete.’ I ask, Lord, as You counsel through our admirable
counsellor. May I receive what You promise through Your truth
so that my ‘joy may be complete.’ God of truth, I ask that I may
receive so that my ‘joy may be complete.’ Until then let my mind
meditate on it, let my tongue speak of it, let my heart love it, let
my mouth preach it. Let my soul hunger for it, let my flesh thirst
for it, my whole being desire it, until I enter into the ‘joy of the
Lord,’ who is God, Three in One, ‘blessed forever. Amen.’

A N S E L M
Proslogion

No comments: